296 total views, 5 views today
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” Dr. Seuss
Witches brooms are made of cinnamon; pumpkins are smelly candles waiting to bring us light, yes cows jump over the moon; fall is fast approaching. Admittedly my favorite season.
A crisp snap in the air I can smell fall days before it arrives. Blankets show up to pile on top of me. Leaves scatter themselves over anything they please. The ocean turns itself into a deeper blue. The migrating whales swim themselves south. The summer tourist make their way back home; school begins, summer ends, this is fall.
I love this time of year: sweaters and fuzzy boots, wool socks, to keep the chill away. I embrace shorter days; sitting in front of a crackling fire is my kind of cozy, books, reading, more books. College football, Go Trojan’s, all fall.
Fall is the perfect time to write. Finish book edits. Not feel guilty for having more time indoors, although I do love walking in the cold bundled up and sweaty and the same time.
Fall is a season that can offer change. Birth new ideas and also remind us of old traditions. I find myself repeating fall habits that I do without thinking. These are my fall ways; what are yours?
- I take my summer clothes and store them. Making room for heavier jackets, sweaters, boots. Taking inventory on what still works and what I can donate.
- I simmer water on the stove with cloves, cinnamon, cut apple, cut an orange, nutmeg. I love the scent that floats into every corner of my home.
- I plant bulbs. My favorite is paperwhite. If I have no ground to plant them in, I can grow them in a vase and water. I put them into the refrigerator for a week or so to force them to bloom.
- I put pumpkins out. The real ones and glass ones I have collected over the years. It seems cheerful to welcome in fall. Pumpkin, I oh the smell, shape, and taste. Pumpkin pie is for fall, an ode to the pumpkin!
- Every year I watch Practical Magic with Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock. There are no surprises since I have seen it every year for many years. For me, It fits into fall like a glove; I love witchy women; the power of the unknown is weighty.
- I change my bedding to match the season. I put on cotton knit sheets and a plaid duvet cover.
Bundle up when the weather offers a cold snap. Burn a pumpkin candle and watch Practical Magic. Read a good book, read my book that is a journey looking for love through men, and finding out much about myself.
Fall can be a time to look inward and take a moment for yourself. Our lives are what we make of them each day, albeit longer days or shorter ones. Change is one thing we can count on.
My Mantra: “As Fall works its way toward us, let’s work our way into the next season, Fall.”