“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” Les Brown
What I know for sure. Resolutions, for the most part, do not work for me. Yes, I can hear the loophole in that statement, so to be honest, they never work for me; nothing gets resolved.
What does work?
Everyone needs to empower themselves with positive change. What will it take to push forward with my dreams, lead a healthy life, and care for my spiritual self and my emotional being? That’s a big ticket, but it is mine, and only I can do something about it. After all, this is my life.
1) Even with positive affirmations and gratitude lists, I know that some days will be damn hard. On the tough days, I will be aware that tomorrow will be better. I can accept bad days and know they are temporary. I can curl up, take a hot bath and lean into what can be internally painful.
2) Vision board, manifestation list, gratitude, YES! they work and are simply what I will become with effort. Those things to manifest are not magic. It takes courage to move forward daily. The action behind my goals is mandatory.
3) I set a real plan and hold myself accountable—putting in the steps literally and figuratively. I would be lost if I let myself wander through my days. I have to have a writing schedule and force myself to work out in some form daily, even if it’s just walking.
4) I force myself to be aware of what comes into my world. I will not allow negative, mean-spiritedness or jealousy to be a part of my day. I am worth positivity. That is where I will be. I am careful in my friendships and what I eat, read, watch, and social media. What you put in is what will come out; you are what you eat. I love myself enough to fill up my tank with love. It is important to me to surround myself with people that support my heartfelt vision.
5) If I fail, I move on. Failure is just a sign that I am trying. Only with effort can I make a change and see a difference. If ‘no’ happens, I seek out a different question, look for a different route, and find a different answer. Everything is possible. We are only limitless if we believe we are. The only limitations we have is the ones we put on ourselves. Those tired belief systems can be rewired; I work hard at seeing a different outcome.
Whether or not you make a new year’s resolution, we can all benefit from turning our thoughts into positive ones. Change your thoughts, change your patterns, change your life. It becomes simple if you take on the day you are in. Baby steps can get us where we want to go. Holidays can be brutal; give yourself grace. Start new each day, and if one day goes to crap, be ok with that, tomorrow will show up.
My Mantra: “Long-term goals are great but managed day by day .”